Camera lenses are full of flaws, which can be bad, but we can also use some of them in a creative way. I’m sure you’ve seen sunbursts in photos but maybe you haven’t figured out how to get them in your photos. All lenses will create the effect when the sun, or any strong light source, shines directly in the lens. But it doesn’t always happen, only when the lens aperture is very small, like f/22, and letting in very little light. Stopping your camera down to f/22 doesn’t always make the points happen either. If you aim your camera directly at the sun, you probably won’t see any bursts. You need to have the strong light source be slightly diffracted by something, like a tree branch, or lamp post.
About LorenLoren Fisher has been a professional photographer since 1978 and has published photography books on Pope John Paul II and Branson, Missouri. He shares his knowledge and passion at photography workshops and tours, is an adjunct professor at Rutgers University and sells his works at art shows and festivals throughout the East Coast.
Become a Premium MemberGet big savings on workshops, classes and soon, on select photo equipment by becoming a Premium Member. Click Here to learn more or sign up.
Get Loren’s newsletterSign up now to get Loren's email newsletter. It comes once or twice a month and has photo tips, inspiration to get you out shooting, tales from Loren's photo adventures and updates about workshops. Click here!
Upcoming Workshops and Classes• Jan. 15: Getting the most out of Lightroom Somerville, NJ
• Jan. 16: Macro Photography Workshop Somerville, NJ
• Jan. 18: Get to Know Your Camera Seminar Somerville, NJ
• Jan. 28: Macro Photography Workshop - Again Somerville, NJ
• Jan. 29: Get to Know Your Camera Seminar - Again Somerville, NJ
• Feb. 3-5: Vermont, Winter Wonderland Photography Workshop Woodstock, VT
• Feb. 11: Advanced Lightroom Somerville, NJ
• April 1: Black & White Photography Workshop Somerville, NJ
• April 15, 2017: Beyond the Basics Photography Workshop Somerville, NJ
• June 30-July 6: Provence Photography Tour and Workshop Provence, France
• Aug. 21-26: Total Solar Eclipse Photography Workshop in Oregon Madras, OR
• Oct. 5-9: Vermont Fall Foliage Photography Workshop Woodstock, VT
Upcoming Art Shows• Jan. 28-29: Boca Raton Fine Art Show Boca Raton, FL
• Feb. 18-19: ArtiGras Fine Arts Festival, Palm Beach, FL
• Feb. 25-26: St. Petersburg Fine Art Festival Petersburg, FL
• March 4-5: Downtown Venice Art Classic Venice, FL
• March 17-19: Paradise City Marlborough, MA
• April 22-23: Arlington Festival of the Arts Arlington, VA
• May 27-29: Paradise City Northhampton, MA
Check back to see additional shows as they are scheduled.
Search my site
Tagsairplane Alaska Animals Backyard barn Bedminster Bicycle Bird Bridgewater clouds detail Dogs farm Florida flowers Fog foliage Friends great blue heron Great Swamp humor leaves macro night NJ People pets Photo adventure Photography workshop photo tip pond reflection river Robin Gaby Fisher Scenic silhouette snow Somerville sunrise sunset tree Vermont Water winter Woodstock