At Chittenden Reservoir in Vermont there is a pretty little island about 300 yards off shore. It is a favorite place for photographers and I’ve photographed it on many occasions at different times of day and different seasons. I decided to try it at night and use a large flashlight to illuminate the island using a technique called light painting, where you pass the light over the subject many times during a long exposure, I usually do 30 seconds. So tonight I started about 30 minutes after the sun went down and shot for the next hour. There was only a slight breeze which gave me the nice reflection on the water. Then I was lucky to have a shooting star which gave me a beautiful final touch. This is one exposure with only minor adjustments in Lightroom. As the sky got darker I needed to bump my ISO up to 400 and I was shooting at f/5.6.
About LorenLoren Fisher has been a professional photographer since 1978 and has published photography books on Pope John Paul II and Branson, Missouri. He shares his knowledge and passion at photography workshops and tours, is an adjunct professor at Rutgers University and sells his works at art shows and festivals throughout the East Coast.
Get Loren’s newsletterSign up now to get Loren's email newsletter. It comes once or twice a month and has photo tips, inspiration to get you out shooting, tales from Loren's photo adventures and updates about workshops. Click here!
Upcoming Workshops and Classes• March 11: Getting the Most Out of Lightroom Somerville, NJ
• March 25: Expanding Your Vision Photography Workshop New York, NY
• April 1: Black & White Photography Workshop Somerville, NJ
• April 15, 2017: Beyond the Basics Photography Workshop Somerville, NJ
• June 3: Night Photography Workshop Somerville, NJ
• June 30-July 6: Provence Photography Tour and Workshop Provence, France
• Aug. 21-26: Total Solar Eclipse Photography Workshop in Oregon Madras, OR
• Oct. 9-13: Vermont Fall Foliage Photography Workshop Woodstock, VT
Upcoming Art Shows• Feb. 18-19: ArtiGras Fine Arts Festival Palm Beach, FL
• Feb. 25-26: St. Petersburg Fine Art Festival St. Petersburg, FL
• March 17-19: Paradise City Marlborough, MA
• April 22-23: Arlington Festival of the Arts Arlington, VA
• May 20-21: Verona Crafts Festival, Verona, NJ
• May 27-29: Paradise City Northhampton, MA
• June 11-12: Morristown Fine Art Show, Morristown, NJ
• June 17-18 Brookdale Crafts Festival, Montclair, NJ
• July 16-17: Westport Fine Arts Festival, Westport, CT
• July 22-23: Loveladies Fine Art Festival, Long Beach Island, NJ
• Aug. 5-6: Mary Fritchie Art Show, Westhampton, NY
• Aug. 13: A Taste of Woodstock, Woodstock, VT
• Sept. 2-3: Mad River Crafts Festival, Waitsfield, VT
• Sept. 9-10: Woodstock Art Festival, Woodstock, VT
• Sept. 16-17: Anderson Park Arts & Crafts, Upper Montclair, NJ
• Oct. 3-4: Manchester Arts & Crafts Festival, Manchester, VT
• Oct. 10-11: Stowe Arts & Crafts Festival, Stowe, VT
• Oct 17-18 Brookdale Fall Crafts Festival, Montclair, NJ
Check back to see additional shows as they are scheduled.
Search my site
TagsAlaska Animals Backyard barn Bedminster Bicycle Bird Bridgewater clouds detail Dogs farm Florida flowers Fog foliage Friends great blue heron Great Swamp humor leaves macro night NJ ocean People pets Photo adventure Photography workshop photo tip pond reflection river Robin Gaby Fisher Scenic silhouette snow Somerville sunrise sunset tree Vermont Water winter Woodstock