We took a nice late-morning morning five mile stroll along the Delaware & Raritan Canal in Millstone down to Blackwells Mills Road. It is always a peaceful hike and we stopped to take a break at Blackwells Mill. The old canal house across the canal once served as the gatekeeper’s house. When barges would come through, the gatekeeper would raise the bridge so the boat could float past. The canal was completed in 1834 and carried shipping on it until 1932. It is now a state park and serves as a water supply.